Promote sustainable development of the extractives sector.
Enhance commercialization of discoveries, develop the requisite skills and infrastructure for production in the oil, gas and other minerals sector and improve access to competitive, reliable and secure supply of petroleum products.
Strategic Objectives of the Ministry
- To formulate and strengthen the Policy, Legal and Institutional framework for the development of the extractive sector
- To promote oil, gas and mineral exploration, distribution and marketing
- To enhance oil, gas and minerals sector capacity development
- To strengthening the capacities of institutions under the Ministry for effective management of the extractives sector
Strategic Intentions of the Ministry during the Financial Year 2021/2022:
- Export of Kenyan Crude Oil through Early Oil Pilot Scheme (EOPS) Project;
- Progress the Lokichar-Lamu Crude Oil Pipeline Project to pre-FEED Final Investment Decision (FID) by negotiating the Fully Termed Agreements;
- Enhanced acquisition, processing and interpretation of geoscientific data;
- Secure distribution and supply of petroleum products
- Increase mineral exploration, processing and in-country value addition; and
- Strengthen institutions in the mining sub sector for effective management and regulation.